Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Fasting...Food...Freedom

Once upon a time I decided to fast from buying food for a month. I wish with all my might I had not stopped. Here are a couple of really cools things that I learned and would like to really actually place into disciplined ways of living:

1) I can live with much less than I thought. In that I had so much more than I thought I had where I never felt I went lacking or hungry. My parents just always have had tons of food in our home. I have never really ever learned to limit myself with how much I have as far as food is concerned.

2) Much of what I did have was junk food, which serves as a reminder that I need to be more mindful to just buy the bare minimum on one hand and on the other hand buy only foods that are nourishing to the body, mind, and soul. [With the understanding that sometimes icecream is a needed girl night essential J]

3) I spend a staggering amount of money eating out to buy drinks, or spin dip, etc. I need to learn to be more conscious of how many nights I enjoy out buying food with friends.

4) When providing food for people whether it be friends or a treasured soul who is homeless, I need to be more mindful of what it means to nourish people. Not just buying some McDonalds and dropping it off, because man when I kept getting donuts and bread while buying food fasting all I wanted was my friend Timbre’s brussell sprouts. People have deeper wounds, needs, and hunger to fill then a cheeseburger. They need broccoli, a hug, a conversation, and steak. Perhaps my lesson is to ask people what they want/need.

5) I really do not need to eat as much as I need to survive and thrive…I think that is a good thing to realize and learn. To nourish yourself but not over-indulge.

6) Be humble to ask.

7) Be very willing to give.

8) It feels really satisfying to save so much money and yet still be provided for and to learn to not live within my means but below them.

I was reading a newspaper article about the connect between the wealthy and the poor, and I got so angry. We do people live by or above their means when there are people who are in need or just better things then money…and then I realize. I don’t make a lot of money but I make enough and I have been living close to and even at times above my means and here I am shaking my fist at injustice and waste. I hate realizing how much I am a hypocrite…but am thankful that I get to learn that I am. I now hate going out to eat…I still do it cause it’s how I bond with my friends…but I am beginning to feel my life is going to be changing very radically…for the better…but change for the long haul of life. If only I could just go live in the woods. HMMM…

No comments:

Post a Comment